Trump Orders Complete Shutdown of Venezuelan Airspace Amid Rising Tensions US President Donald Trump has announced that the airspace above and surrounding Venezuela is to be closed "in its entirety". The move is aimed at curbing drug trafficking and human trafficking in the region. Trump warned airlines, pilots, drug dealers, and human traffickers to avoid the area, citing escalating tensions between the US and Venezuela. The shutdown comes after the US military carried out 21 attacks on suspected drug-smuggling vessels, resulting in the deaths of at least 83 people. The US has also deployed an aircraft carrier to the Caribbean and formally designated the Venezuela-based Cartel de los Soles as a foreign terrorist organization. Venezuela has not responded immediately to Trump's announcement, but the country's government has previously rejected US accusations of involvement in the illicit drug trade. The move is seen as ...
Arsenal transfer news: Gunners 'to rival Liverpool' for Barcelona midfielder in summer transfer window
Arsenal are reportedly contemplating whether to join the race to sign Barcelona midfielder Frenkie de Jong.
The 27-year-old endured a frustrating 2024 after a persistent ankle injury kept him sidelined for the middle part of the calendar year.
However, since the start of October, De Jong has played a regular part under Hansi Flick, ensuring that the Catalan giants remain on course for what would be an unforeseen quadruple.
A total of nine starts and 16 substitute outings have been made in all competitions, the Netherlands international having made several successive starts until his appearance from the bench against Las Palmas on Saturday night.
Nevertheless, his contract situation remains up in the air, something that TBR Football alleges could be exploited by Premier League sides.
Fresh interest in De Jong signature? The report alleges that Arsenal have started to monitor the situation involving De Jong, who has less than 18 months remaining on his contract.
Given his involvement under Flick, it appears that De Jong is now viewed as an integral part of the squad, yet Barcelona cannot afford to lose a player of his profile on a free transfer in 2026.
Although negotiations are realistically a priority for all concerned, a failure from De Jong to pen a new deal will lead to offers being considered.
A previous report suggested that Barcelona could be open to cashing in on De Jong for a fee in the region of £25m with Liverpool allegedly an admirer, one that would still provide their situation with the relevant financial regulations a substantial boost.
While De Jong may show preference for a stay at Camp Nou ahead of a return to the renovated stadium, he has already compromised on several contract re-negotiations to enable Barcelona to pass rulings regarding their outgoings.
Do Arsenal need De Jong? Mikel Arteta already has Thomas Partey, Declan Rice, Martin Odegaard, Mikel Merino and Jorginho as his senior five central midfielders.
That said, with Partey and Jorginho both out of contract in the summer, it is clear that reinforcements will be required. .
A deal for Real Sociedad's Martin Zubimendi is said to be in the offing, but it is questionable whether Arsenal would spend a further £25m on a second central midfielder when they also need to bring in a new number nine.
This page contains affiliate links. When you click the links provided below, we may earn a commission
